2017: Memory Spinners La Traviata
I'm sitting in the Traverse bar as the buzz of the Chrysalis Festival surrounds me (I'll blog about that once I am back in Glasgow and have digested all the fab shows). I am looking over my to-do list and what I need to get completed for the coming week when I realise we are 6 weeks into the 2017 Autumn Memory Spinners project.
This means we are 2 weeks away from our Memory Spinners sharing which will take place on Friday 1st December and I can't believe where the past 6 weeks have gone. It feels like only last week I was getting prepared to begin my 6th project with this amazing group and before I know it'll be all over again for another year.
I wanted to take a little bit of time to reflect on this wonderful project and what I have learned as an artist (and a human being) over the past few years and felt no better way to do this than a list (I bloody love a list) ....
1. Laughter soothes the soul and it is vital we laugh daily
2. Be in the moment and enjoy every bit of that moment because sometimes that is all we have
3. Best laid plans go to waste. Be willing to change it up and go with the flow
4. There is so much beauty in imperfection - some of my favourite moments have been when scenes don't play out as rehearsed
5. Collaborate and listen! Really listen!
6. Sometimes words just get in the way
7. Music is power - I am amazed at the connection music can make and how it can bring people together
8. Give space to let ideas breathe sometimes in the space comes a new direction
10. Be willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck right in (the creative team are amongst the Memory Spinners group during the performance)
I am excited for the Glasgow group to share their work in December and extra excited because Memory Spinners will be coming to North Lanarkshire in January 2018. My 2 roles will collide as Culture NL partner Scottish Opera to bring a satellite group to Airdrie Town Hall.
Know someone living with Dementia in the North Lanarkshire area who would be interested in joining the group? Get in touch with me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.